microDRUM

Il forum di microDRUM

IDE installation and config tool

IDE installation and config tool

Postby Sno0t » 24/04/2017, 20:01

Hey everyone :)
Finally after 2 years+ of absence i was able to continue my microdrum project (better late than never ^^")

The Arduino IDe gives warning when i try to verify the setup

Code: Select all
D:\downloads\mdrum\md-firmware-master\sketch_microdrum\h_menu.ino:619:58: warning: '__progmem__' attribute ignored [-Wattributes]

void MenuString(const PROGMEM char *s,bool sel)

^

D:\downloads\mdrum\md-firmware-master\sketch_microdrum\b_utility.ino: In function 'int virtualAnalogRead(byte, byte)':

D:\downloads\mdrum\md-firmware-master\sketch_microdrum\b_utility.ino:190:63: warning: division by zero [-Wdiv-by-zero]

if(T<virtualTmax && virtualTmax!=0) return (T*virtualVmax)/virtualTmax;

^

D:\downloads\mdrum\md-firmware-master\sketch_microdrum\b_utility.ino:191:95: warning: division by zero [-Wdiv-by-zero]

else if(T<(virtualTmax+(2*virtualT50))) return virtualVmax-(T-virtualTmax)*(virtualVmax/2)/virtualT50;

^

D:\downloads\mdrum\md-firmware-master\sketch_microdrum\h_menu.ino: At global scope:

D:\downloads\mdrum\md-firmware-master\sketch_microdrum\h_menu.ino:619:37: warning: '__progmem__' attribute ignored [-Wattributes]

void MenuString(const PROGMEM char *s,bool sel)

^

I installed the FW regardless though....

My MD-specs:
PCB v0.7
Arduino UNO (5v)

I have used the following config for the installation:
//========CONFIGURE=============
#define USE_LCD           1     // Use LCD
#define USE_595           0     // 1 with nanoDrum and v0.8
#define USE_PROFILER      0     // Use Profiler (only for Debug)
#define FASTADC           1     // FASTADC = Prescaler_16, VERYFASTADC = Prescaler_8, VERYVERYFASTADC = Prescaler_4
#define SERIALSPEED       0     // 1 = 115200, 0 = 31250 (MIDI) , picoMIDI use 115200 therefore with nanoDrum and v0.8 use 1
#define USE_DEFAULT_NAME  1     // Use Default Name for pin in LCD Menu
#define USE_PISERIAL      1     // Use Raspberry Pi serial
#define USE_WAVTRIGGER    0     // Use WavTrigger
#define WT_16             0     // WT_16 = 16 Wav Trigger Input , WT_24 = 24 Wav Trigger Input
#define ENABLE_CHANNEL    0     // Enable MIDI Channel
#define MENU_LOG          1     // Enable Auto Tune (only with LCD)
#define NANO              0     // 1 = nanoDrum , 0 = microDrum
//==============================

Its the current default config with only 2 adjusted parameters;
define NANO - set to 0 as i have the v.07 pcb
use 595 - set to 0, same as above...

The config tool wont show me any signal, I had hoped for at least a noise or something(through my attached cable...)
I don't know whats wrong :/
I am not able to save anything to the microdrum through the config tool...(I tested this by changing something and then saving it, changing it again and try loading it)
The provided v2 config tool from wesley in its thread is unfortunately not wiorking anymore (dead dropbox link)
I was so fired up today, finally being able to start over, and now this xD

I built the PCB using this wiki post

However, maybe I am missing something?
I've made a picture of my current PCB (arduino detached)

I am using a selfmade jumper on jx and S1 (pin 2 - 3)
i removed r13 today as this is not supposed to be on the board if the wiki is correctly...
I found no information for R9 and R10, hence I left them on the board...

Do I have to also use resistors on the JackBoard?
Currently there is only a loose cable attached, no piezo or anything similar.

I hope one of you is able to help me ^^".

Thanks in advance & kind regards
Kind regards,
Sno0t
Sno0t

Re: IDE installation and config tool

Postby WesleyS » 28/04/2017, 2:09

First thing I would try is setting:
#define SERIALSPEED 1

With it set to 0 the Config Tool may not be able to recognize it. Also, I'm trying to fix that link for the Config Tool, will let you know when it is

**EDIT
try this link for the Config Tool:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xppkmj2e6exnjc3/microdrumv2.zip?dl=0
WesleyS

Postby Sno0t » 28/04/2017, 21:11

Thank you Wes,
Link is working perfectly fine now :)
Will try this tomorrow and report back :)
(Tomorrow I should receive a new breadboard, hence I should be able to add the LCD)

EDIT:
Nah couldn't wait till tomorrow...
Just re-installed the FW with the mentioned setting (serialspeed)
But the monitor still shows nothing...
As it seems I am able to save the config to the microdrum (The yellow LED on the arduino is flickering while the saving progress gets shown)
However, I am not able to load it...if I click load from microdrum -> all only the fields get greyed out but nothing happens...
Any other ideas? ^^"

Thanks in advance, kind regards,
Sno0t
Sno0t

Postby Sno0t » 29/04/2017, 13:16

I Successfully(?) installed the LCD, however it only shows me questionmarks...
I am quite sure i installed everything correctly... (Well Ihad no poti on hand and hence installed 5 1k resistors to see stuff on the display...but except for that everything is connected correctly..i guess)
In the provided screenshot I have disconnected the buttons/switches as They had no function with the current displayed question marks...

are there any other config options I should adjust when using the 0.7PCB with a Arduino UNO (hence 5V)??

Thanks in advance...

**EDIT:
I fiddled a little bit and it seems I can save and load from the arduino, only with MicroDrum FW 1.0 and only if the pcb v0.7 is not connected.
If i try it with the newest firmware and/or with the PCB attached, I cant load the settings...even though on 'save' the led is blinking it seems as if nothin is saved at all...
Sno0t

Postby WesleyS » 03/05/2017, 0:48

Sorry about the saving/loading problems, I really have no experience with it.

One thing I would do is ground the buttons if they're not being used. Having them open can cause the Arduino to reset constantly. Once we get your LCD running with it you can adjust all your settings from there.
Even touching the LCD wires can cause it to mess up, so make sure you have no loose wires. Also is that a 20x4 LCD? It looks too big to be a 16x2. If it is a 20x4 go to the "setup" tab and find:
lcd.begin(16, 2);

and change it to
lcd.begin(20, 4);
WesleyS

Postby Sno0t » 03/05/2017, 18:34

Hi Wes, thank you pretty much for your help.
It is really appreciated.

I tried reinstalling the FW with the lcd setting set to 20,4 (which is actually the right one..my mistake)
But still nothing is working...I somehow get the feeling that one of my components is wrecked...

The display shows nothing if i have the jumper on S! to be on pin2 and 3 (outer right)
And only shows 4 squares when being on pin 1&2.
Jumper JX is set. which should be right according to the Wiki.
I have R13 installed, however, this should not affect the functionality at all (right?)
The only thing that I can think of wqould be that I have installed the multiplexers wrong.. But I've just checked them... I have somehow installed the sockets mirrored, but this should not cause any problems as they only work as connectors..

I seriously don't know what is wrong with the module :(

kind regards,
Sno0t
Sno0t

Postby WesleyS » 09/05/2017, 3:27

Have you tried taking the Arduino off and just running the "Hello World" example sketch?
WesleyS

Postby Sno0t » 09/05/2017, 11:42

Hi wes,
Yes I did ;)

I am now in the process of assembling a PCB -> Wires -> Arduino connection to have a little bit of modularity to see what could cause the problem :)

The hello world example did work fine btw. :)

I'll report back when theres something new to tell :)

Thank you again for your help :)

EDIT:

So, finally I got it working to some degree.
After it always failed to run when having Jumper S! set on pin 2+3, i removed the jumper at let the pin 'fly around' for now.
The Arduino UNO already used the reset pin and has it set to VDD, hence It consitently restarted my UNO.
After That I realized that I either read the schematics wrong, or they are actually twisted between the LCD and the PCB schematics.
So after switching them on my cables as well I was able to see something on my display (yay)

After that I finally was able to correctly wire the buttons (but as far as I can tell only 2 of them have a function..is this correct)

Later I realized i need to clip off RX0 and TX1, otherwise I was not able to install scripts via arduino IDE. (Well actually TX1 was unfortunately just removed as well, because i was clumsy...this was not necessary ^^")
This is working perfectly fine now.

I then tried to save and load from the MDTool, which unfortunately did not work.
I then tried to change the serial speed within the config (from 1 to 0, hence from 115200 to 31250) and I was finally able to save from / load to the MD.

Yes, i tried changing the mode via the lcd to 'tool' beforehead, still I could not load or save.

My final problem right now is, that I have a million 'NoteOn' messages (both with 115200 and 31250) and a lot of triggered hits (snare, crash, hihat) [only on 31250 ]
And at the same time, he does not seem to recognize the hits I make with my Guitar Hero foot pedal...
Still today was a huge succes, regarding that I had nothing working until today.

Still, any help regarding this matter is pretty much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Sno0t
Sno0t

Postby WesleyS » 10/05/2017, 15:35

I'm glad you got it working and figured out your problem!
Are all of your unused pins grounded?
From your pictures it looks like you only have one header soldered but that could still cause noise. Since you have your LCD and buttons working find the NSensor option and set it to either 0 or 1, that should tell the Arduino to only read the first multiplexer
WesleyS

Postby Sno0t » 13/05/2017, 10:30

Hi wes,
no my unused Pins are not grounded.
Of course this could cause false triggers...stupid me ^^°
Thanks for the nsensor tip.
I know there was a link where the config tool was explained but i cant find it right know.
Currently i am not at home, hence i am not able to test vor adjust anything.
I will report back as soon as possible.
Thanks again, you are a great help .

Kind regards

EDIT:

Hi wes :)
So, i finally found the correct pin and the correct setting (HHC) to make my Guitar Hero foot pedal work...
Currently I have soldered on all of my multiplexers but i set my nsensor to 1 to fiddle with the first connector before trying others.
I am still getting a lot of note ons.. How ca i Ground my pins when I have attached my Jacks?
(Soldered the jacks onto the jack pcb and connected everysthing via cables...)
The noise that is getting produced seems to be alot louder than the one from using the foot pedal :/
Unfortunately I am still confused with the tool...Currently my pedal triggers 'BassHead' in the tool, even though this particular pin is called 'Snare Head' on my LCD.
When I am trying to save, it seems to work in the tool, however, nothing is saved on the Module :/

I would like to have correct names though...
Anyways..is there a way to somehow reduce the noise? Or to turn it off?
I mean, in my head scenario I dont have to always have all piezos connected and should still be able to use the modulke ...

I am somehwat confused at how I should continue from here on ^^"

Thanks in advance...
Sno0t
Last edited by Sno0t on 18/05/2017, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Sno0t

Next

Return to Troubleshooting